With the number of drivers on the road increasing, the chances of getting into an accident are also on the rise. This can be an incredibly scary and life-changing event. Being prepared and knowing what to do after getting into a car accident can be beneficial. You may find that you need to contact a car accident attorney to ensure that your rights are maintained and protected.
The moments right after a car accident can be incredibly disorienting, emotional and stressful.
The moments right after a car accident can be incredibly disorienting, emotional and stressful. If you want to ensure that you will receive financial compensation, there are some things you need to do right after getting into an accident. These are listed below.
Steps to Take After an Auto Accident
- Stay at the Scene: If possible, you need to stay at the scene of the accident until the authorities tell you to move. If staying puts you and others in danger, then move far enough out of the way to be safe, but don’t go so far that people will think you are leaving. You can get into a lot of trouble if you are viewed as hit-and-run driver.
- Check on Others:After the accident, you will want to check on the other passengers in your car and in the vehicle that was also involved. Make sure to check yourself, as well. Knowing if anyone needs medical assistance will allow the dispatcher to send the necessary help. If you are aware what others are going through, this can also help prevent further injury from occurring.
- Call the Police: Once you have checked on the others, then you need to call the police. They should create a formal accident report, which will be useful if you need to contact a Los Angeles car accident attorney. They are often required when filing any type of insurance claim. Make sure to get the officer’s name and contact information so you can get a hold for them for a copy of the report.
- Exchange Information: While you are waiting for the police and emergency personnel, consider exchanging information with the other driver, if possible. This will include their name, driver’s license number, insurance details, and contact information. It’s advised to be friendly, but don’t apologize or admit guilt. This could make it challenging in the future to get compensation.
- Take Photographs: Taking photographs of the scene and the damage that was done to your car can be helpful when filing insurance claims or talking to a car accident attorney. Having these can ensure that you get the compensation you deserve. The police officers will also take photos, but having your own can be advantageous.
- Document Injuries and Damages: In addition to taking photos, you’ll want to document all injuries and damages that were sustained during and after the accident. If you find that you are having anxiety or pain, keep track of this information. If you have interactions with doctors or other health care providers, keep track of this as well. You’ll also want to keep track of any work missed because of the accident and other financial hardships related to this moment.
Having all of this information handy can be beneficial when talking to West Coast trial lawyers. To get you the compensation you need and deserve, they will need to have all of this information readily available and easy to access.
- Be Cautious of Who You Talk to:When it comes to discussing the accident with other people, be careful about what you say. Do not talk to insurance adjustors, except for your own, without a Los Angeles car accident attorney present. Anything you say could be used against you and have an impact on your settlement.
Recommended for You
- Contact a Car Accident Attorney: Don’t try to navigate the aftermath of the car accident alone. If you thought it was stressful, emotional and frustrating dealing with the accident, you might have to relive that again when dealing with the insurance company. Their goal is to pay as little as possible. If you don’t know how to negotiate with them or speak their language, then get someone in your corner who can.
It may seem scary to hire West Coast trial lawyers to help with an accident, but it is in your best interest. You have been through a lot, and you deserve compensation. An accident lawyer will let you know your chances of getting compensation and then work on your behalf to obtain that for you.
How Soon Should You Call?
The sooner you can get a hold of a lawyer, the better. If you are missing work because of injury and have a lot of doctor’s appointments and bills, the sooner you can get covered for those expenses, the less stress and hardship you’ll have to deal with. While the attorney can’t guarantee they’ll get you a settlement, they will do what they can to get you fair compensation.
Finding the Right Lawyer
When it comes to looking for the right attorney, there are some things that you’ll need to keep in mind.
- They Should Have Experience: You can start your search online, and you will more than likely find a list of accident lawyers in your area. You’ll want to narrow those down to ones who have experience. Check to see how long they have been in practice and how many accident cases they have taken on. Even if they haven’t won all of them, they still have the experience needed to help you with your case.
- They Should Have Some Wins:Remember, lawyers aren’t going to win all of their cases, but they should have a few more wins than losses. Check out their ratio and see what kinds of settlements they were able to get their clients. You may not get the same, but you can rest assured knowing you are working with someone who has gotten clients what they deserved.
- You Should be Able to Work with Them: It’s incredibly important that you get along with your attorney. You will be spending a lot of time with them to settle your case. If you don’t like them or feel uncomfortable around them, it will make the process incredibly challenging. If there is more than one lawyer within the firm, ask if you can talk to another one that may make you feel more comfortable.
Take Care of Yourself
Getting into a car accident is a life-changing experience, and it can take a large emotional and physical toll. After you have gone through the steps and contacted a lawyer, make sure you take care of yourself. It’s important that you heal from this occurrence so you can get on with your life.